Sunday 8 March 2015

An Influential Event

My parents’ decision to move back to India in 2003 was indeed a life changer for me. At the tender age of 8, this seemed like the work of the devil. To be separated from all my friends and replace my comfortable surroundings with the chaotic Indian lifestyle was definitely not what I wanted.

Living in India did have its perks, which were not so apparent to me at that age. Firstly, it gave me the opportunity to grow up with my grandparents and relatives as important figures in my life. The past ten years would not have been the same without their guidance and regular family gatherings. Secondly, I feel like moving to India is the reason I know my country the way I do today. The connection with one's roots, in terms of culture, language, heritage, as well as a strong emotional bond, is key in shaping one's own experiences. I am proud to say that, even though my Hindi is not perfect and I do not know all that there is to know about India’s culture, India is my home.

In terms of life goals, living in India is sparked my interest in developmental economics. Seeing such diverse socio-economic situations and the stark reality of unequal distribution of income fired a passion in me to study economics. 

Ultimately, I am grateful of my parents' decision to raise me in India. It has changed the person I am and the person I will be. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Naina! I appreciate your personal and heartfelt account of an influential event in your life. I can relate to your post somehow, having moved from Penang to Singapore when I was 12. Nonetheless, I imagine it to be tougher on your side since you have to adapt to an entirely different environment at such a young age. I am glad you found a positive outcome in India, and I agree that it is always important to learn about your roots. Thank you again for this personal reflection :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the heart-felt post, Naina. You explain the impact of your family's move back to India with insight and panache. I know how remarkable you are as a student now, and can only imagine in the most positive light the person you will be---- Your parents must be very proud.

    ReplyDelete